Anyone excited for the U2414h?

Home   Forums   Display discussion   Anyone excited for the U2414h?

This topic contains 96 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 1 hour, 11 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author

ineedanewmonitor
    Participant

Apparently it has gone on sale and launched in China. I’ve been snooping around some chinese tech related forums and came across some pictures from a user receiving his unit.

From looking at the last image, it doesn’t look like it’s using PWM, but who knows for sure. It also looks like he has a soundbar attached to it. Most likely the AC511. The prices reported I’ve seen are in the range of $280-$320.

Additional photos here.

November 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm #26309

PCM2
    Keymaster

I would like to register my ‘excitement’ about the monitor, and indeed I very much look forward to reviewing it. It looks like quite an adventurous (but not too adventurous) design for an UltraSharp monitor, a bit like a conglomeration of the usual modern UltraSharp style with the S series. Given how impressive the P2414H is overall it could be a really decent monitor. I do hope it will be PWM-free, but you can’t actually tell that from a static photograph. Most cameras lack the still-shot sensitivity to pick up anything untoward like flickering, certainly if the PWM frequency is quite high, or simply filter it out.

I know there are readers of the website who may or may not post here that are looking forward to the monitor as I’ve had some people actively putting off buying a monitor until this one was out. I expect it will have its product page up on Dell’s website quite shortly and then we’ll have a short news piece on it.

November 20, 2013 at 6:16 am #26314

ineedanewmonitor
    Participant

Yeah, I was going to buy the P24, but after seeing the U24 leaked info, I’m going to wait and see how it performs.

Looks like another user received a not so good one here.

November 20, 2013 at 9:49 am #26319

PCM2
    Keymaster

To get a fair representation of isolated backlight bleed the exposure of the shot would need to be much lower and it would have to have been taken from further away. The camera is just capturing and exaggerating a lot of IPS glow there and it’s impossible to accurately assess the remaining uniformity issues beyond this. And don’t be put off by a few bad cases of ‘backlight bleed’ or you’ll never settle for any LCD monitor. Expecting perfection will only set you up for disappointment ;).

November 23, 2013 at 4:20 am #26349

ineedanewmonitor
    Participant

Product page up. US – Estimated Ship Date: 11/25/2013

November 23, 2013 at 1:33 pm #26356

PCM2
    Keymaster

Thanks for the heads up. A little article with some thoughts – http://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-u2414h-a-stylish-ultrasharp-model.

November 25, 2013 at 5:46 pm #26377

Umbral
    Participant

I see no real difference between P2414H & U2414H series except for bezel and some other features like usb3.

At that price better buy the P2714H but you know i refuse to buy anything but true 8 bit.

Still waiting for Next generation VA from BenQ.
    Any news in this regard ?
    I am sure they will continue with 1920 x 1080, maybe they make some 1920 x 1200 along with their new 4k.

November 26, 2013 at 9:09 am #26379

PCM2
    Keymaster

It should have a tighter factory calibration and different presets, as noted in the news article. Other than that the core performances should be similar. Any other differences will be highlighted in the review, when the time comes.

The latest releases from BenQ are the EW40 series, one of which we’re reviewing currently. The 24″ version isn’t out yet. To that end BenQ won’t be releasing anything ‘next generation’ until next year, most probably April or later.

December 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm #26789

dr0
    Participant

Any predictions on when you’ll have your review published?

December 22, 2013 at 3:00 pm #26790

PCM2
    Keymaster

Not for a bit unfortunately as Dell don’t have any U2414H review samples to give us yet.

January 7, 2014 at 6:42 am #27132

JDeniet
    Participant

Hi,

Just wondering if there is much difference between the Dell U2414h and the P2414H.

I am looking to buy one soon, will be mainly used for study, gaming and some entertainment (movies/TV shows).

It will be used with an R9 280X graphic card

Cheers,
    Josh

January 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm #27143

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi Josh,

I put your post here as there is discussion of sorts about the U2414H and how it might compare to the P2414H here. Also check out the U2414H article for more points of comparison.

Incidentally I just received a U2414H in the post and will be reviewing it over the next few weeks.

January 8, 2014 at 11:07 am #27187

robE
    Participant

U2414H really looks nice, unfortunately here where i live the availability for BENQ BL2411pt was VERY low and couldn’t get one, so sad that x1200 decent priced monitors are so hard to find.

Anyway i’m really excited for the u2414h, I’m just curious if you can confirm after you get some time to play with it if it has 100% the same panel as p2414h? Thanks!

January 9, 2014 at 9:59 pm #27211

PCM2
    Keymaster

To find out the panel it uses I’d have to open up the monitor (it belongs to Dell and I don’t want to do that). It doesn’t mention this on the service menu. From my testing so far, though, it seems to be much like the P2414H – which is a good thing I’m sure you’ll agree. It is set up slightly differently and the ‘sRGB’ preset is extremely impressive if you like very accurate gamma performance. The white point is pretty close to the daylight target in any preset and it doesn’t take much tweaking at all. Obviously individual units can be different, but I’m impressed with what I’ve seen on the U2414H so far. If you’ve got an Nvidia GPU you have to be careful setting it up (even if you use DisplayPort) which will be mentioned in the review. But apart from that, really enjoying it.

January 10, 2014 at 12:10 am #27215

robE
    Participant

I agree with you, i was just curious :D and i do have an nvidia gpu with DP…i guess il wait for the review to come out then, i hope it’s nothing serious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.